Allen Joseph Stout

Amanda Melvina Fisk
14 children, including
David Fisk Stout
Father: Joseph A. Stout
Mother: Anna Smith
Show Pedigree
Allen Joseph Stout, was from Kentucky, raised by strict Quakers. Allen was born December 5, 1815, into a family that had just experienced extremehardships. He was the tenth child, born in the American frontier of Danville, Kentucky. When Allen's mother died of consumption (tuberculosis), on July 28, 1824, Allen and hisbrother Hosea were passed from home to home as hired help. Her loss to the family waswell described by Hosea: "By her death I lost the only unwavering friend that I had andour family was now left like a ship without a rudder to be the sport of misfortune, and Isure felt and realized her loss, and now when deprived of her could begin to see my owningratitude and disobedience to her." Allen made the comment: "I was a very weaklychild; this man (a Martin Myers) used to abuse me by whipping me for things which Icould not help." Hosea took his brother Allen to live with his cousin Ephraim Stout, Jr.,to attend Jesse Stout's school for a time. Allen says he was the meanest man he ever saw. It was in the year of 1837 that Allen's sister, Anna married Benjamin Jones, a Mormon. At first Hosea wanted to disprove the new religion but soon became convinced of itstruthfulness. Hosea remained at the Jones's home several days during which time he methis old friend Charles C. Rich, who was now a Mormon Elder.

Hosea states, "It is not necessary to mention our investigation which resulted in allcases in the loss of my position, while he always sustained his on the fairest possibleterms. The perplexity which this threw me into can only be realized by those who havebeen through the same thing with the same anticipations before them that I had. I sawplainly that my position was wrong, and did also verily believe Mormonism to becorrect." Though Hosea did not have courage at first to be baptized, he returned to Stoutgrove to teach the new doctrine to his astonished relatives. In 1834 Hyrum Smith andLyman Wight passed through Stout Grove. He states, "The effect of their preaching waspowerful upon us".... but Hosea still did not join.

During these years of Mormon proselyting, Hosea's brother Allen and father returnedfrom their six year scout trip in Missouri and Arkansas. On their arrival father Joseph andson Allen investigated Mormonism with vigor. Allen writes: "I read the book: Doctrineand Covenants. I could not get hold of a Book of Mormon. I went to a number ofSunday prayer meetings, but still the most satisfaction I could get was what Hosea wouldtell me, for he was as well acquainted with the Gospel as he is now, but had not obeyed ityet. Soon after we got here (Illinois) Lyman Wight and Charles C. Rich came on fromMissouri and held a meeting, so we all went to hear, and I was well pleased, and so wasfather, but to my great astonishment, some were very mad and said they did not teach thescriptures, but I knew better for I was well acquainted with the Bible."

After two months of study, Allen was convinced to gather with the Saints and bebaptized. Their father went with them to Far West, Caldwell County, Missouri. August6, 1837 they arrived but in poor health. Allen was out of money and had no choice but tostay. At first it seemed he had to return to the South after being rejected on a loan. Hoseacame to his rescue by buying land and providing Allen with employment and shelter. Besides suffering physically he also suffered mentally for "I had become satisfied of thetruth of the gospel and wished to embrace it, but still lingered back and had not courage togo forward and be baptized until the 22nd of April, 1838." His sister Lydia was baptizedthe previous day which may have helped him. His father Joseph never joined the churchbut seemed favorably impressed with Mormonism. Hosea finally was baptized August24, 1838. Allen was a young man of 22 years at this time.

At the time of Allen's baptism he was a sick man. Allen writes that after Charles C.Rich baptized him "It seemed to me that I could almost rise and fly. As soon as I wasimmersed I felt relieved of a seemingly great weight, and as I went home I felt as though Icould almost walk and not touch the ground. I had the Elders anoint me and I was healedof both my breast complaint and fever sores after the bone had been nacked all winter onmy leg." After his baptism, he proved true to the tribulation that came to the church fromthe anti-Mormon mobocracy.

It was Allen who gave Orson Hyde a trip back on his wagon after Orson had betrayedthe Saints. "I also divided my morsel of bread with him, but I was not much in love withapostates, . . . but I saw that Brother Hyde was on the stool of repentance and he didrepent good."

At the young age of 24, Allen was called on a mission. He was set apart by HyrumSmith April 20, 1840. He left Nauvoo on foot to go south. His intention was "to try topreach the Gospel, young and unlearned as I was, but I had never spoke in public in mylife ...I did call on the Lord for strength and wisdom to enable me to perform my dutywith an eye single to his glory." A letter was written to Allen from Hosea reporting thesad news that the prophet Joseph Smith was in danger in Missouri. Allen hastened backto Nauvoo. He worked as a carpenter, a fisherman, and received a commission as ThirdLieutenant in the Nauvoo Legion October 20, 1842. At the age of 27 years and workingas a teamster for Miles Anderson, he fell in love with Elizabeth Anderson and was marriedby Charles C. Rich on July 17, 1843.

On July 8, 1843, Allen was promoted to Captain, First Company, Nauvoo Legion. Hosea and Allen were determined to protect the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. InMartha Cox's journal, page 78, she relates the following story: While Allen was servingas a bodyguard to the Prophet, they (Allen and the Prophet) saw a man coming towardthem. When he was near, the Prophet said to Allen: "Wait here while I speak with thisman." Allen waited for sometime a short distance away while Joseph Smith spoke withthe stranger. When the Prophet returned to where Allen was, Allen was very upset forbeing so negligent as his bodyguard. The Prophet said: "That man wouldn't hurt me, hewas John the Revealer."

Allen writes that after Joseph and Hyrum were taken to Carthage and jailed, theProphet wrote an official order to Jonathan Dunham to bring the Nauvoo Legion toCarthage to save "him from being killed, but Dunham did not let a single man or mortalknow that he had received such orders, and we (the Legion) were kept in the city underarms not knowing but all was well, "till the mob came and forced the prison and slewJoseph and Hyrum Smith".

Allen relates that the dead bodies were brought to Nauvoo. There he "saw their belovedforms reposing in the arms of death, which gave me such feelings as I am not able todescribe." After the martyrdom of the prophet, Allen joined the Nauvoo Police Department. His salary was one dollar per day in "city script." In January, 1845, when theIllinois legislature repealed the Nauvoo City Charter even this pay ended. This act alsoended the existence of the Nauvoo Legion. Brigham Young explained that they no longercould be paid, but if they would render their service, the Lord would provide for them. He was soon offered a job which gave him income. In 1845, Brigham Young asked himto be his own personal body guard. He served in that capacity until the following fallwhen he became Heber C. Kimball's personal guard. At the Kimball home, Elizabeth andAllen were sealed for all time and eternity. It wasn't until December 20, 1845 that theNauvoo Temple was completed and Allen received his endowments.

During the winter months of 1845-46 Allen writes that they could not remain "inNauvoo any longer, without fighting all the time." The Stouts were preparing for theirjourney to the West. The journey was very challenging due to his rheumatism attacks andthe difficult weather. On February 10 the Stouts crossed the Mississippi. The severity ofthe weather forced the family to camp at Sugar Creek for several weeks. It was a difficultday when Allen lost his wife after she gave birth to their third child, Martha Ann. Elizabeth died January 30, 1848. Since 1846, they had remained in Council Bluffs.

Allen was left in "a benighted condition without a wife, with three little helpless babiesand a journey of 1100 miles to perform without an animal to help me, and what to do I didnot know. So I continued to pour out my soul in prayer to God day and night for him toopen up some way for me to support my little ones and get them to the Valleys of theMountains."

He sent his three children to live with his sister Anna. He hired a girl named AmandaMelvina Fisk to look after his children. She began work April 8, 1848. On April 30,Brigham Young performed the marriage ceremony for Allen and Amanda for all time andeternity. They moved to Pigeon Creek, Iowa where they rented land and planted agarden. He taught masonry and guarded cattle at night. All money was saved for the greattrip west. Amanda gave birth to her first child April 16, 1849: Lydia Mariah Fisk Stout. Though illness came their way and financial trials were their lot, they were able to leavefor the Rockies in July, 1851. March 9, 1851, their first boy arrived: Alfred Fisk Stout. In late June 1851 Allen bought a wagon and hired three yoke of oxen from the "PerpetualEmigration Fund," and was ready to make the trek to the land of religious freedom by July4, 1851. It was a difficult journey but to their great joy and relief they arrived at the SaltLake Valley October 2, 1851 at Hosea's home. Amanda was so sick she had to be carriedinto the house.